“The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things.”
– Ronald Reagan
A Manager would make his/her team perform by putting the performance review into perspective. But it would take a leader to implement an effective performance management system that would enable his/her team to strive in the performance area. The performance review was normally a stressful, tense and anxiety-inducing affair even before the global pandemic and its economic crises impacted the world. With the current situation of existential horror and uncertainty, the apprehension of employees towards performance review challenges went up a notch. When we talk about performance, it is the measure of achievement against a goal. Amid the uncertain Covid world, performance reviews are necessary to strengthen your employees. The notion of it being a razer-focused strategy for identifying poor performance or to hand out raises is not ideal for the moment. So, continue reading to understand what are the challenges involved in remote performance management systems (or performance review) and improve your process taking into account our most important tips to overcome those challenges.
Challenges In Manoeuvring Remote Performance Reviews
- Face-to-face interactions, which are susceptible to the building of trust, are not found when the meeting is conducted remotely through Zoom or Google meet or any other video calling application.
- Best employee performance management systems are set up to maintain better communication between manager-employees. In spite of the video calls, remote performance reviews miss out on the non-verbal cues such as body language, facial expression and tone of voice, which are essential for our communication. These cues cannot be clearly read with a video call.
- Because of not working side-by-side, there is not a clear picture of every little detail of your employees’ performance, thus leading to an incorrect review of employee performance.
- The remote performance management system employed by your company most of the time is not capable of providing adequate feedback. The success of a performance review depends on helping the struggling employee with feedback and actionable suggestions. Without sufficient feedback, improvement of performance is unlikely.
- Remote operation demands your employees to work with disparate applications and bridge the gap that comes from not working face-to-face. You, as a manager, will find it extremely difficult and time-consuming to gather information from all of these applications.
Tip To Strengthen Your Performance Management System In Regards To Remote Performance Reviews
1. Be Compassionate Towards Your Employees
Your employees are going through a lot like you, personally and professionally. What they have now is not a choice but an ultimatum to work from their houses. Most of them are trying their best to juggle meetings, projects and workloads with toddlers, caring for the elderly family members and other personal responsibilities. Also, there is a surge of mental health issu